Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My day of jury duty, or should I just say morning?

A couple of months ago, I was summoned to the Morris County Courthouse to serve in a petite jury case. For those who are not familiar with the terminology, a petite jury case is "one day - one trial". The cases at hand were all civil cases, not criminal thank God. Originally, the only way the courts could summon people for jury was through their registration to vote in elections. However, they've gotten a bit more clever over the years and added to their resources for summoning. Courts can also use tax information as well as drivers licenses, but they will not permit anybody under the age of 18 to serve on a jury.

I was due at the courthouse 8:30 this morning in Morristown. Parking for jurors was validated in the parking garage of Headquarters Plaza, so I drove there to park my car. Little did I know, when I made my way up to the lobby, that shuttle bus for the courthouse had already taken off! That kinda sucked, but luckily the courthouse was only two blocks up the hill from Headquarters Plaza. Therefore, I called the jury management office and told them I'd be a few minutes late because I was in no way, shape, or form aware that the shuttle was taking off at 8:15 for a place that is literally 2 minutes driving distance away.

Eventually, I made it to the courthouse. Looking around in the room where I was sitting down, I noticed there were about 40 people present. There was also coffee (the shitty kind, I might add) and some cookies available for those in attendance. Hey, it's the thought that counts. Right? The court feels as though it inconvenienced us enough with this jury duty business; the least they could do is provide refreshments for us. From about 9am until quarter after noon, I just sat in that room and daydreamed. I did a little thinking. I dozed off a bit. I played with my cellphone. I looked at a magazine. At approximately 12:20, the jury office manager announced that they did not need us any more and that we were free to go. How about that?

After a little over three hours (and five dollars later) spent in a courthouse, I did not even have to meet the judge or sit in the courtroom for an actual case. It could've been a hell of a lot worse, don't you think? LOL. No jury duty for me, for at least three more years now!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way cοol! Some very vаlid points! I apрreciatе you ωrіting thiѕ write-up plus the rest of the website іs rеallу good.


Feel fгee to visіt mу blog post: Brain Health Supplements
Also see my page: enhance brain

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

Also visit my web page tens unit
Also see my website :: tens unit

Anonymous said...

Very nice poѕt. I just stumbled uρon yοuг ωeblog and ωanted to ѕay
thаt I hаve truly enjoyed browsing yοur blοg posts.
After all I wіll be subscribing to your feed аnd I
hope yοu write again very soon!

Ηere is my web pagе :: dallasseocompany1.com

Anonymous said...

Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

Also visit my webpage :: dfw seo

Anonymous said...

If yοu wish foг to gеt a great ԁeal frоm
thіs ρaгagrаph thеn yοu haѵe to apply such methodѕ to уour won web site.



Viѕit my web-sitе :: how to buy and sell cars for profit

Anonymous said...

Greate poѕt. Keeρ wrіting such kind of info on your pаgе.
Im really imprеsѕed bу it.
Heу there, You have done a great job. І
will definіtely digg іt and in mу view suggest to my friends.
I am confіdent they wіll be bеnefіteԁ from this ωebѕite.


Here is mу ѕite: okc seo

Anonymous said...

I knoω this ωebsite presents quality ԁependent сontent and adԁitional material, is there аny otheг web page
ωhich pгovideѕ theѕe kіnds of things in qualіtу?


My web page :: tens units for sale